Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64?

Damn, the AARP sent me a membership card in the mail today. That's a kick in the teeth for a middle aged guy like me. I didn't ask for it and I am hoping it is some kind of mistake, but my BFF Rose sure got a laugh out of it. I don't plan to send in the $12.50 membership fee anytime soon, but I might hang on to the card to see if I can get a few dollars off at the early bird special this weekend. Even if 42-year olds are eligible for membership, my retirement savings ballance tells me I have a long way to go before I can actually retire.


I did 'retire' from bike racing about a dozen years ago. I treated it as a part time job at the time, but given my limited income from that endeavor, I don't think that is what piqued the AARP's interest in me. I suspect they are just trying to raise their membership numbers and fill their war chest before the election in November. Combine the might of the AARP, the NRA, and a couple of oil companies and there is nothing that can't be bought.


So, I am now more motivated than ever to come out of retirement before the AARP counts me on their roles. I'm gonna lose 30 pounds, train 3 hours every day, increase my VO2max, double my power output, increase my max heart rate a bit. If I can do all that and enter only very flat races, I might even be able to finish in the pack of the 35 plus field. On second thought, maybe I'll just wait until I'm 65 and stay behind the microphone until then.


It's probably a good thing that these flashes of motivation pass quickly, that was a close one.

No comments: